Many quick home ramen dishes come from the leftovers in my fridge. This week I had a bunch of extra basil and sausage, which are both great compliments to a hearty lunchtime soup.
- Mise en place. Slice the green onion, sausage, and julienne the cabbage and basil. If the basil bruises, your knife needs to be sharpened (the basil will taste just fine, bruises and all).
- Prepare noodles. Break the noodle brick in half and add the soup base and faux kimchi.
- Add condiments. Add the sliced cabbage, onion, and half the basil (but don’t stir yet). Wait a few minutes and stir. Repeat until noodles are soft and cabbage has softened a bit too.
- Add remaining ingredients. Give the soup one last stir, and carefully place the remaining ingredients on top of the soup.
- Add aromatics and condiments. Juice the lime and sprinkle over top of the finished soup, and add a generous dollop of kimchi for extra zing.